Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: The Crown in Heather by N. Gemini Sasson


This is one book I highly recommend. I love medieval, it's one of my favourite genres to read. I am not a fan of first person, which this book is, but the writing was so good, so involving that I was soon, within the first three pages, absolutely hooked.

The story of Robert the Bruce, the English dominance and Scotland's struggles for independance is told through the eyes of Robert the Bruce, Prince Edward of England and a Scottish lesser nobleman, James Douglas. When reading from each person's point of view you are taken into their world with such deft writing that is so well craft and absorbing that you forget the world around you, at least I did.

The Crown in Heather by N. Gemini Sasson is an outstanding read and the author should be widely praised for her portrayal of a trubulent time in Scotland's history. The detailed research is richly woven into a magnificent story that blends seemlessly between the facts as we know them and authoritive fiction.

Do yourself a favour and buy this book. It is a keeper for me on my Kindle and one I will also buy in paperback.

With the wonderful speed of Kindle I am buying the sequel, Worth Dying For. I believe there is a third book to be written.

1 comment:

J.T. Webster said...

It sounds like a great read. I've added it to my TBR list.