Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Christmas Tree

A Christmas Tree


I have been looking at a merry company of children assembled round that pretty German toy, a Christmas Tree. The tree was planted in the middle of a great round table, and towered high above their heads. It was brillantly lighted by a multitude of little tapers; and everywhere sparkled and glittered with bright objects. There were rosy-cheeked dolls, hiding behind the green leaves; and...sugar-plums; there were trinkets for the elder girls, far brighter than any grown-up gold and jewels...there were teetotums, humming tops, needle-cases, pen-wipers...real fruit, made artificially dazzling with gold leaf; imitation apples, pears, and walnuts, crammed with surprises; in short, as a pretty child, before me, delightedly whisped to another pretty child, her bosom friend, "There was everything and more."


-Charles Dickens, Household Word



I just finished decorating my tree and I'm sitting in my living room, enjoying the view with a glass of wine. It doesn't matter if it is 2010 or the 1800's -- a Christmas tree is a thing of beauty. I hope you all have a wonderful, safe Christmas and Happy New Year!

Maggie

No comments: